Sunday, October 05, 2014

PFAPA

     P what???  PFAPA.  Yes, I am learning too.  We are now trying to "rule out" this syndrome on Matt.  PFAPA stands for Periodic Fever Aphthous Stomatitis Pharyngitits Adenitis syndrome.  It is supposedly also known as Marshall's syndrome if that helps.  It is a rare, possibly genetic disease but still one that he will OUTGROW at least!  They still think he has THI (transient hypogammaglobunemia of infancy), but now we are adding this to our list of "let's see if Matt has this".  When I was first told about it, I thought to myself, "nah, he doesn't have that-- he just gets sick a lot because his IGG is low."  But the more I have thought about it, the more I think I guess it is a possibility he could also have this this based on his symptoms.  Needless to say, Matt started running a very LOW fever overnight of 100 after being extremely irritable yesterday (which usually means he doesn't feel well).  I tried to brush it off but when it spiked to 103 this afternoon, I had to face the facts that he is sick again.  So more testing, meds, etc. tomorrow morning!    I promise I don't have Munchausen's disease (although I could see why some people may think that because, thankfully, my little buddy looks completely fine)!  I will continue to post updates on Matt-- we may never find a clear or direct answer to what constantly makes my sweet baby sick- but I am fine with this as long as it doesn't last forever.   Click HERE for a link that explains more about PFAPA.



     And one more thing--- his CT scan from a few weeks ago was absolutely, positively CLEAR with no bad things to report!  He will "outgrow" his little airway anomaly and it should not cause any harm to him whatsoever.  That is definitely a great thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment