Saturday, December 13, 2014

Our December Fever

    
     Let me preface this with... we still have no definite idea as to what exactly is wrong with Matt, if anything.  I would LOVE to say that maybe we will have it figured out soon, but I don't think that will happen.  I am not crazy, I am not trying to "make" him sicker than he is, and I am not over-exaggerating about his illnesses.
     This fever marks his 10th episode in a row since March 2014.  He gets them an average of every 32 days, not on an exact date, and they last about 5 days each episode with days 2 and 3 being the worst.  His fevers have never gone past 104, he loses his appetite, he becomes lethargic and cranky, and his little body feels like it is on fire.  I cannot "plan" for the episode to start, which is frustrating because when I do make plans to do things, I have to cancel them because he is sick.  He has had FOUR PAGES worth of lab results done on him in his 22 months old thus far!  And it was printed in about 6pt. font...
     This past Thursday, he started his fever episode by randomly-- exactly 36 days (5 weeks) since his last episode.  We are seeing a new infectious disease doctor who is determined to help us figure out why Matt continues to get periodic fevers each month.  He has now had bloodwork done to test for: cancer, rheumatology disorders, and thyroid disorders.  He had a shot on his skin to rule out tuberculosis.  He is waiting on results from the genetic testing done about 4 weeks ago.  He is going to have his urine tested.  He had two xrays of his chest done.  And he is now on a new, horrible tasting antibiotic for 2 weeks to make sure he doesn't have some super bug sinus infection that is lingering (I don't think this is the answer, but it is worth a shot I guess?).
     I feel like his illness takes over my life and I cannot focus on anything else at times.  I feel like I have had to sacrifice doing things for my family and for Emily  to take care of him. I get so tired of the constant struggle to figure out why he is continuing to get sick and I really do wish the answer was simple.  The majority of his medical care and expenses falls on my shoulders and sometimes I have a hard time coping with the stress of it all.
     All of that being said...  I am beyond thankful that my sweet baby is not "sicker" than he is every month.  I am so thankful for the support of my husband and our families, and for the prayers from those who know and don't know everything we go through with him.  I have said before and will say again, I would be completely fine if the fevers and illnesses went away and I never had an explanation- as long as they never came back!!!    Sorry this is not an upbeat post, but I am frustrated with the constant labs, fevers, and appointments.  PFAPA? (this is my guess)  Cancer?? (doubtful)  Prolonged infection??? (doubtful) Something else entirely???? (no clue) Fingers crossed and prayers that we will figure him out as we continue to persevere!!!

First day of Fever- spiked right up to 103 in the middle of the day!

On the way to the doctor of course.  Always sleeps a lot during the first 2 days of his fevers.

At Infectious Disease!  Fever spiking back up- can tell by the tired look in his eyes.  Was a LONG day of labs and xrays.

Still had a fever in this picture but he remains happy when it is around 101 or less!  Sweet baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment